大学英语快速阅读第四册16篇翻译 下载本文

射线,但同时足够轻便携带跟车辆,轻松和经济。大多数

likely this metal would have to be synthetic, since no natural metal except lead has yet 这种金属可能要合成,因为没有自然金属除了铅呢

proved fit for the job. When this light metal is invented, the motoring world will be well 证明了适合这个工作。当这轻金属诞生了,汽车的世界将好吗

on the way to an atomic car. However, even after the invention of a protective but light 在原子的车。然而,即使是在保护的发明,但重量轻

metal, two other problems still remain, those of economics and safety. 金属,另外两位问题仍然存在,经济和安全。

It is extremely doubtful whether at the beginning a really economic engine could be made, 这是极为怀疑开始一个真正经济引擎可以被做,

that is, one cheap enough to make it worth putting in a car. But it seems safe to say that 那是一条便宜,让它值得投入一辆车。但似乎有把握说

eventually, as technology and mass production come in atomic engines, the price will go 最终,在技术和大规模生产进来原子引擎的话,我们的价格将会去

down. This is basic economics, and manufacturers should eventually be able to produce 下来。这是简单的经济学、宏观经济学、制造商最终将会产生

something that will at least be cheaper than having to pay for petrol during the lifetime of 至少有一些价格低于不必支付的一生期间汽油 the car. 那辆车。

But then this third problem still remains, that of safety. Suppose that there is a road 不过这第三个问题,仍然是安全之本。想象一下有一条道路

accident involving one, or perhaps two, atomic cars, and that the atomic reactor or its 事故中,或者也许是两场、原子汽车,原子反应堆或其

protective covering were damaged. Any explosion would be equal to that of a very small 保护,包括被破坏。任何爆炸等于一个非常小的

atomic bomb. The effects of such an explosion would be felt for several miles around. As 原子弹。这一爆炸的影响会感到了几英里左右。作为

will be realised, this is perhaps the biggest problem of all to overcome. Is it possible to 将意识到,这或许是最大的问题来克服。是否有可能

make an atomic engine that will be really safe in every circumstance? 使原子引擎,会很安全的每个情况如何?

Letters: Obsolete Technology

过时的技术字母:

Readers' complaints that our young people are helpless when thrown back on obsolete 读者抱怨我们的年轻人无助的如果扔回到过时了

technology, such as the dial telephone and simple addition, have aroused a protest. 技术,如拨电话和简单的加法,调动了抗议。

You may remember reading here about the fifth-grade pupil who wanted to call home from 你方可能记得阅读这儿的五年级学生想打电话回家

school but didn't know how to use the dial phone, and the ice cream parlor that had to close 学校,但不知道如何使用拨电话,冰淇淋店,不得不关闭 because the computerized cash register broke down.

因为电脑现金出纳机坏了。

These stories suggested that young people are almost wholly dependent on state of the art 这些故事表明年轻人差不多完全依赖于国家的艺术

technology, and also that we older people are becoming obsolete or outdated along with the 技术,也是我们上了年纪的人变得过时或过时的随着 machines of our era. 我们时代的机器。

Perhaps it is the latter that hurts. 或许它是后者很痛。

John A. Junot wants to know whether, if my car broke down, I would know how to ride a horse.

约翰答:Junot想知道,如果我的汽车抛锚的时候,我将会知道如何去骑一匹马。 I might be willing to try. But the problem is—where could I ride one? 我可能是愿意尝试。但问题is-where我可以骑的吗?

Junot suggests that I would either get the car repaired or replace it. That is what today 's Junot建议我也不会把车送去维修或更换。这就是今天的

young engineers do when their computers break down, he points out. 年轻的工程师做”,当她们的电脑崩溃,他指出。

In that respect I am as dependent on modern technology as the young. I have allowed myself 在这方面我也依赖于现代技术为年轻。我已经让我

to become wholly dependent on my computer, and when it breaks down I am like a man cast 成为完全依赖我的电脑,并且当它打破了我像一个人施放 adrift at sea in a small boat. 在海上漂浮的一只小船。

\ 不要失去“文化艺术和技术,Junot下降。“他们抛弃他们。计算

slide rule is in exactly the same class as archery, blacksmithing, sailing, hand-weaving and 计算尺已经完全相同的上课,射箭、锻造、帆船、等

drawing. To the extent that those things are done, they are done by hobbyists, historians 图。在某种程度上,那些事物被做,他们做是爱好者,历史学家

and cultural anthropologists and are preserved mainly by librarians.\ 和文化人类学家和保留主要由馆员。”

Junot points out that certain ancient skills, such as archery and sailing, are themselves Junot指出,某些古老的技能,如射箭和帆船运动,是自己

improved by modern technology. \Hood probably couldn't shoot one of today 's graphite/

提高了现代技术。“罗宾汉可能不能把一个的今天的石墨/ epoxy compound bows.\ 环氧化合物的蝴蝶结。”

He says: \ 他说:”,所以,没有人知道如何fifth-grader拨一个拨号型电话,你

imply that the boy was somehow culturally deprived, and that it would 'come in handy' if he 那男孩在某种程度上暗示的文化,它将会被剥夺的派上用场“如果他 learned.\

学习。”

\ “我不明白。Rotary-dial电话的的比赛方式high-button鞋,他们是

uncommon now and doomed to extinction simply because you can't talk to computers with a 现在,注定要灭绝的不凡,只是因为你不能跟计算机, rotary-type phone.\ rotary-type电话。”

Junot points out that the first computers are already obsolete. I know what he means. I Junot指出,第一批计算机过时了。我知道他是什么意思。我

bought the first IBM Personal Computer on the market. Recently I blew what is known as the 买了第一IBM的个人电脑市场。最近我吹了所谓的

\ “母亲卡。”这是被一种更先进的克隆卡片不是完美的

compatible with my machine. I have had little but misery with it ever since. 符合我的洗衣机。我有小但是,不幸与它至今。

Junot says it would have been impossible for the ice cream clerks to go on doing business, Junot说是不可能冰淇淋职员去做业务,

making their calculations by hand, when their computerized register failed. 使他们的计算用手,当他们的电脑注册失败了。

\ “恩,在收款机被发明,事业是那样做。和员工偷了

because it was easy. Cash registers were invented precisely to keep employees honest, and to 因为它是件容易的事。收款机被发明就是让员工真诚, protect them from charges of dishonesty ... \ 保护他们免受费用的欺骗…“

\ “此外,计算机化的收入用于计算销售税和打印

people buying on expense accounts. Are you suggesting that the kids give the businessman and

的人购买费用帐户。你是在暗示孩子们给商人和吗

the tax man numbers scribbled on the backs of paper sacks? The manager was probably only 税务员编号潦草的背上纸袋子吗?经理很可能仅仅 following the company policy when he closed the store.\ 遵守公司政策时,他关闭店铺。”

\ “很明显,然后结束,我们看到了心理计算。那些快餐电脑

even note the amount of money the customer pays and also the exact amount of change due. The

甚至可见大量金钱客户自付的确切数额的变化原因。这

clerk doesn't even have to figure out how much change is due from a $ 10 bill, nor does the 店员甚至没有数字从许多变化源于一张10美元的纸币,也没有了 customer, since he can assume that the computer doesn't err.\ 客户,因为他会假设的电脑都不会错了。”

It's OK with me. I never was any good at arithmetic, anyway, and I 'm glad I have lived long

这对我来说是合适的。我没有擅长算术,无论如何,我真高兴我住久了 enough to see it become obsolete. 能够看到它过时了。

Meanwhile, Barbara Jones of Santa Barbara wonders how children can ever learn how to tell 与此同时,芭芭拉·琼斯圣巴巴拉奇迹孩子如何能学习如何知道 time when all they see are digital watches. 时候所有他们看到的是数字手表。

And Sally Wade wonders, \ 伟德和莎莉奇迹,“那就会明天的成年人(今天的孩子不会)主人扳手,

spigot, tap, screw or the like when the directions tell him/ her to turn it 'clockwise' or 终止,水龙头,螺杆或像当方向告诉他/她关的顺时针”或 'counterclockwise' in this age of digital clocks?\ 逆时针方向”的这个时代的数字钟啊?”

Why would tomorrow 's adult ever have to use a wrench or a screwdriver? 为什么明天的成人以往任何时候都必须使用扳手或螺丝刀吗? Anyway, I think schoolroom clocks still have hands. 无论如何,我认为课堂时钟仍然有手。

I will give the last word to Barbara L. Sigman of Simi Valley: 我要给最后一句话Simi >,芭芭拉平原的西

\ “我不会让你的文章从我这里逃走需要至少一种模糊的抗议。“年轻的”

not all a bunch of mindless, although charming, beautiful and healthy people, as you imply 不完全是在一系列愚蠢的,虽然迷人、美丽、健康的人说过,当你不意味

... Some of us read Shakespeare, Flaubert, and even Voltaire! Better yet, we can dial …我们中的一些人读莎士比亚,《福楼拜,甚至伏尔泰!还有更好的,我们可以拨

telephones and we can make change. And a few of us know a tiny bit about history, too.\ 电话,我们可以做出改变。和一些人都知道一丁点儿对历史也是这样想的。” Thank you, Ms. Sigman. 谢谢你,女士西格曼。

I 'm glad to know that all is not lost. 很高兴知道不是全盘皆输。 Unit 3 第三单元

Needing and Wanting Are Different

需要想是不同的

\ “妈妈,我能要点儿钱吗?”这些都是这句话我妈妈过去常听。在

return, I heard, \ 回来,我都听见了,“你为什么不找工作?不要让我快乐,但使你有你的

own money and gain a bit more responsibility.\year I got a job with Montgomery Ward

自己的钱,获得更多的责任。”去年就我找到一份工作与蒙哥马利病房

's photo studio, working about 25 hours a week. For $ 5 an hour, I was a telephone salesman, 奇摩摄影工作室,保证每周25小时的工作。每小时5美元,我是一个电话推销员,

trying to persuade people to come in for a free photograph. 说服别人来喝不花钱的照片。

All this was during football season and I was on the team as a kicker. To do football and 在足球赛季所有这一切都是我球队踢球。做足球和

homework and my job at the same time became really hard. I was burning out, falling asleep 作业,我的工作在同一时间成了真的很难。我被烧,入睡

at school, not able to concentrate. My first class was physics and I hated it. I 'd just sit 在学校里,无法集中精神。我的第一节课是物理和我恨恶他。我想坐

there with my hand on my cheek and my elbow on the desk, and start dozing. One day, the 和我的手放在我的脸颊,我的肘在书桌上,并开始睡着了。有一天,

teacher asked my partner what I was doing and she said, \ 老师问我的合伙人我在做什么,她说:“哦,他是睡著了。”老师

came to the back of the class and stared at me. The whole class looked at me for about two 到了后面的阶级和两眼瞪着我。全班同学看着我大约两个 minutes and laughed. 分钟,笑了。

My third-period history teacher was really concerned. She was cool. A lot of times, I 'd 我的third-period历史老师真的很担心。她确实很酷。很多时候,我会

fall asleep in her class. She 'd scream, \ 安睡在她的课。她很尖叫,“醒来吧!”然后大满贯她的手在我的书桌上。我想打开

my eyes for about two minutes, pay attention and go back to sleep. She asked me if I could 我的眼睛大约两分钟,注意继续睡。她问我是否能

handle school, football and work. I said, \ 处理学校、足球和工作。我说:“是的。我做到目前为止还好。”她说,“怎么了?”为什么 all this?\ 这一切?”

I told her it was for the things I need, when actually it was for the things I wanted. 我告诉她是我所需要的东西,但这是,我的东西,我想要的。

Needing and wanting are different. Needing something is like your only shoes have holes in 需要想是不同的。需要某种东西,就像你唯一的鞋子有洞

them. But when a new pair of sneakers came out and I liked them, I 'd get them. My parents 他们。但当一双新运动鞋出来了,我喜欢他们,我想获得它们。我的父母

didn't feel it was right, but they said, \ 没有什么感觉是对的,但他们说,“这是你的钱,你学会处理它。”

Within two years I had bought 30 pairs. My parents would laugh. \ 在两年之内,我买了30双。我的父母会笑。“你有你的工作,你得到的

your money—but where's your money now?\They didn't realize how much my job was hurting my

你现在的钱使出你出钱呢?”他们没有实现了多少,我的工作就是刺痛了我的 schoolwork. 课堂。

My priorities were all screwed up. On a typical night I did about an hour of homework. A lot 我的重点都搞砸了。通过一个典型的晚上,我做了大约一个小时的家庭作业。很多 of times it was hard for me to make decisions: do I want to be at work or do I want to be at