Unit 1
1.离婚的传言不过是为他的新电影炒作的手段而已.
The rumor about his divorce is just a ploy to gain publicity for his new film. 2.他孤注一掷, 用父母留给他的所有钱来开一家工厂.
He took a gamble on starting a new factory with all the money his parents had left him
3.赢得那场重要的比赛之后,他们把队长抬到肩膀上,欢呼着胜利.
After winning the important game they hoisted their captain to their shoulders in shouting triumph.
4.在全球化热潮中,我们要提防不同文化的冲突.
In the rush to go for globalization, we should watch out for collision of cultures. 5.在这种情况下, 出现麻烦是不足为奇的.
In the circumstances it was not surprising that there was trouble. 6.这婴儿非常健康.
The baby is the very picture of health.
7.人们已经意识到儿童接触有关暴力和色情电视节目的危害.
People have realized the dangers of exposing children to violence and sex on TV.
8. 我们始终考虑到我们是在为谁制作这部电影.
We always had in mind for whom we were making the film.
Unit 2
1.只有那些有过类似经历的人,才能够完全理解这一点。
Only those who have lived through a similar experience can fully appreciate this.
2. 科学家们一直没有弄明白这些粒子是怎么形成、又是如何相互作用的。 Scientists have been hard pressed to figure out how these particles form and interact (with one another).
3.我要特别感谢每一个在这些年来以不同方式做出了贡献的人。
I’d like to express my special thanks to everyone who has contributed over the years in one way or another.
4.团队环境中员工个人的成功能带来公司的成功。
The individual success of the employees in a team environment results in success for the company.
5.这场战争,虽说从军事角度而言是成功的,却令经济几乎崩溃。
The war, although successful in military terms, left the economy almost in ruins.
6.他决定把自己的精力用到有益的事上,而不是整天守在电视机前。
He decided to channel his energies into something useful, instead of sitting in front of the TV set all day long.
7. 力量与勇气是有区别的。生存需要力量,生活需要勇气。
There is a difference between strength and courage. It takes strength to survive. It takes courage to live.
8.她天生就是一个非常温柔亲切的人,总是乐于向别人伸出援手。
She was by nature a very affectionate person, always ready to give a helping hand to others.
Unit 3
1.听说他的新书是根据发生在田纳西州一个小镇上的真事写的。
Rumor has it that his new book is based on a true story about a family in a small Tennessee town.
2.他在中学教书,但也兼职做些翻译来赚取外快。
He teaches in a middle school, but he does some translation work on the side to bring extra cash/money.
3.自信是件好事,但自信与自负是有区别的。
It’s good to be confident (about yourself), but there is a difference between confidence and conceit.
4. 只有坚持到底的人才会成功。半途而废的人永远也无法实现梦想。
Only those who stick it out can achieve success. Those who give up halfway will never realize their dreams.
5.一个真正的英雄有勇气,有高尚的目标,而且乐于奉献。
A true hero possesses/has courage, a noble purpose and a willingness to make sacrifices.
6. 任何人只要拿起这本小说读了第一段,就会发现很难把它放下。
Anyone who picked up this novel and reads the first paragraph will be hard pressed to put it down.
7.从某种意义上说,生活就像游泳。如果总是扶住池边,就永远也学不会。 In a sense, life is like swimming; if you keep holding on to the sides of the pool, you (will) never learn.
8.一个民族的前途在很大程度上取决于其教育与培训的质量。
The future of a nation depends in a large measure upon the quality of education and training.
Unit 4
1.我简直摸不透她,她对我是个谜。
I just can’t figure her out, she’s a mystery to me.
2.他从一个村子来到另一个村子,走家串户,听他们诉苦。
He travelled from one village to another, dropping in on families and listening to their complaints and problems.
3.在辩论中吉姆总是站在约翰一边。
Jim always sides with John in an argument. 4.这时我忽然明白过来,他们说的是西班牙语。
Then it dawned on me that they were speaking Spanish. 5.他们不得不承受他们的错误决定所带来的后果。
They have to live with the consequences of their wrong decision. 6.他的话被群众的大声欢呼所淹没。
His words were drowned out by loud cheers from the crowd.
7) 我看着那印满字的书页,但不知上面写些什么。
I looked at the printed page but the words made no sense. 8) 我们必须使人们意识到保护环境的必要性。
We must awaken people to the need to protect our environment.
Unit 5
1.这种情景总是令我感动,让我沉思。
Such a sight always moves me and sets me thinking. 2.别怪她了, 在类似情况下,你自己也会这么做的。
Stop scolding/blaming her—you’d have done the same thing under/in similar circumstances.
3. 我们应当为自己所拥有的一切而心存感激,而不是对任何事情都漫不经心。 We should be appreciative of/grateful for what we have instead of taking everything for granted.
4.他也许会答应改变,但无非又是说一套做一套罢了。
He may promise to change, but it’s the same old story of saying one thing and doing another.
5. 我苦苦思索该怎样把这可怕的消息告诉他。
I racked my brains about how to break the terrible news to him. 6. 我将永远无法报答父母为我所做的一切。
It will be impossible for me to repay my parents for everything they have done for me.
7.且让我再次感谢大家的参与,祝你们工作顺利。
For now, it reminds to me to thank you once more for joining us and wish you good luck in your work.
8.我已开始就说过,他会给我们惹麻烦的。
I said right from the beginning that he would cause us trouble.
Unit 6
1.我们一起工作已经很长时间了,从来没有因为意见分歧而妨碍我们之间的友谊。
We’ve worked together for a long time and have never let our differing opinions get in the way of our friendship.
2.这项协议将为两国间的持久和平铺平道路。
This agreement will pave the way for a lasting peace between the two countries.
3. 他们通常要等你开始放松警惕,才提出他们的要求。
They usually don’t mention their requirements until you are beginning to let your defenses down.
4.要有勇气面对自己的失误, 不要出了问题就想把责任推到别人身上去。 You should have the courage to face your own mistakes. Don’t try to shift the blame onto others when things go wrong
5.如果你经常担惊受怕,你会发现这本书很有帮助。If you are more often than not affected by fear and worry, you will find this book very useful.